Carpet beetles are very common type of beetles that are found in carpets, closets, and air vents. They are annoying though, but do they cause any harm to you is a big question.
Here in this article, we are discussing about these pests and how they can affect humans.
The answer to this question is yes. These pests are one of the most dangerous creatures which though have a non-toxic nature, but can pose hazardous to you and your family.
Beetles in terms of adults are around 1/16 to 1/8 inch long and oval-shaped. They are black in colour and are dotted or patched with brown, white, yellow and orange colour. The Larvae on the other hand are 1/8 to ¼ inch long and are brownish in colour.
Do Carpet beetles damage your household items?
Carpet beetles usually live outside, but they prefer staying inside the house to avoid the outside harsh weather. Once they enter the house, they can cause damage to most of your household items with materials like silk, wool, fur, natural cotton, etc. In short, they pose a danger to all your clothing. The major signs that you would see is that small holes in your fabrics which are bigger than the ones created by moths.
How to get rid of them?
Firstly, you need to identify those fabrics which are infested with these carpet beetles. They might be living there or laying eggs.
Once you find those items:
- Wash or dry-clean them. Use hot water to get rid of them. You can also freeze them for 2 weeks.
- If the first one doesn’t work, then you can use a safe insecticide to spray on them. But make sure you follow the instructions and avoid using them on beds and clothing.
If the infestation is higher, you should take help from professionals like the Pest Control Manchester. They have well-trained professionals who have passed the examination of B.P.C.A. They can very easily carry out these pest control treatments with full expertise.
What happens when carpet beetles bite?
Most people are allergic to these carpet beetles specifically they are allergic to the larvae bristles or their skin.
These allergic reactions can be seen when they come in contact with your skin, eyes, airways and digestive tract.
Some of the symptoms of these allergic reactions are:
- Red, itchy and watery eyes
- Itchiness in skin
- Rashes like welts or bites which includes a burning sensation
- Runny nose
- Gastrointestinal problems
The only option to avoid these allergic reactions is by getting rid of these beetles from the house.
How can you avoid them?
They always like an environment where there is light and warmth. To avoid them:
- Avoid keeping any clothes unwashed for a longer period of time.
- Keep them in airtight places and keep a watch for any signs of beetles
- Use mothballs in your closet
- Regularly clean your carpets, rugs and upholstery furniture.
Carpet beetles do not bite or pose any kind of danger to life. However, they are so annoying that you might not want those pests in your house.